Design & Technology Outreach Contractor
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Kickstarter is seeking an Independent Contractor to help us research potential and grow our influence within Detroit’s design and technology communities. We’re particularly interested in speaking to those with an in-depth knowledge of product design and homegrown manufacturing, but a more general design and hardware specialist based in Detroit may be considered. This role is scoped as an initial fixed 4-month contract, for up to 20 hours per week.
About The Team
The Outreach & International team engages with, and advocates for, creators in the global creative communities we serve. Managing a large portfolio of relationships, we inspire creators to use Kickstarter to support their projects. We are a multidisciplinary, action-oriented team that believes deeply in the importance of creative independence.
Over the past decade, tens of thousands of product designers, engineers, and makers have come to Kickstarter to share their ideas with the world. We’ve helped creators launch new industries, reinvent manufacturing, and bring innovative products to life. To date, over 26 thousand Design & Technology projects have found success on Kickstarter — raising more than $2 billion.
About The Responsibilities
As a Design & Technology Outreach Independent Contractor you’ll be helping us map and understand specific facets of the product design, startup, and hardware communities in Detroit, while identifying and inspiring creators in those industries to use Kickstarter. On a daily basis, you’ll be drawing on your extensive network to identify potential projects and opportunities, set up meetings, and work with our permanent staff to build our knowledge and connections with the ultimate goal of growing new domains on Kickstarter.
- Connect with promising, high-quality D&T creators in Detroit who could be a fit for Kickstarter, ideally with a focus on those involved with design products, manufacturing, or hardware.
- Make the case for Kickstarter to potential creators, in a competitive funding landscape.
- Help us build relationships with partners in these ecosystems (accelerators, trade shows, agencies, etc).
- Plan, host, attend and report back on community events (to the extent possible given Covid restrictions)
- Assist with creator relations surrounding our upcoming Design Core Detroit partnership.
- Advise on key trends and concerns in the industry to build our overall knowledge of the space.
- You have deep community ties in the Detroit startup community, ideally as a specialist in product design and/or hardware communities. You’re confident in your ability to understand and advocate for these communities’ needs, and to make the case for Kickstarter to them.
- You are a deft communicator, both written and verbal. You guide, educate, question, write, and edit with grace.
- You know how to connect with creative communities and welcome the opportunity to engage with new perspectives.
- You are familiar with Kickstarter and believe in the opportunity we represent for Design & Technology creators.
- You are comfortable speaking and presenting to both small and large groups.
- Bonus Points If: You have run or collaborated on a Kickstarter project in the past.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.
Your application has been successfully submitted.