Freelance Firmware Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Pensar is seeking Freelance Firmware Engineers with 5+ years of experience to augment our Software & Embedded Systems team. We are looking for someone who can handle fast-paced project work and excels at translating Client and user inputs into functional designs. You will work closely with a multi-disciplinary project team on cutting-edge product design.
Qualified Candidates must have the ability to apply sound engineering principles in the development and documentation of firmware for products and systems that we deliver to our Clients. Independent critical thinking and design skills are required for this position, as tasks may be large in scope and extend for long periods between reviews with senior Pensar staff.
- Freelance consulting experience is required
- 5+ years of contributing to the design and production of complex products in consumer electronics, aerospace, or medical devices.
- Example projects using complex or interesting algorithms solving problems in analog signal processing, computer vision, or audio processing
- Deep knowledge of standard data structures and control system patterns required to drive, manage, translate, and otherwise operate peripheral hardware
- Experience with Nordic processors (e.g. nRF52 family)
- Experience with Bluetooth and BLE stacks, implementations, and mobile app integrations
- Expertise in communication protocols, from I2C to UDP
- Experience working with a cross-discipline team
- Proficient in reading, writing, reviewing, and testing C and C++
- Python, C#, MATLAB, and other high-level languages a plus
- Experience with a variety of RTOS a plus
- Ensure Clients are thrilled and Pensar’s services are of the highest quality possible
- Maintain schedules and ongoing project requirements and specifications through interaction with Pensar personnel and Clients
- Review design efforts from engineering teams to ensure quality is being maintained
- Participate in peer code reviews
- Manage and scope investigations into features and behaviors of systems
- Participate in estimation and project sizing
- Understand project constraints and help ensure expectations match feasibility
- Operate independently to execute the design of features or sets of features that satisfy the requirements and scope set forward by other Pensar staff and/or Clients
- Creation and refinement, independently and with a team, of source code and related assets to ensure that applications can be built, operated, and maintained
- Create comments, release notes, and other documentation to capture the theory of operation and design intent of code delivered to clients
- Maintain transparent and frequent release in source repositories
- Use branching and tags appropriately and recommend improvements to code design and management processes
- Participation in test planning and automation, when appropriate
- Develop presentations and communicate designs to Clients and Pensar staff
- Mentor and share skills with peers
- Determine root cause of issues guided by other Pensar staff and/or Clients
- Direct communication with Clients
- Review and elicitation of requirements from Clients and Pensar engineers across disciplines
- Integration and handoff with third-party teams when needed
- Participation in review of license or IP implications of third-party and open source libraries with Clients and Pensar staff
- Exercising independent judgment to influence key decisions
Your application has been successfully submitted.